Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ogden Nash

A few random Ogden Nash poems that I really like. He's cool.

The Ostrich
The ostrich roams the great Sahara.
Its mouth is wide, its neck is narra.
It has such long and lofty legs,
I'm glad it sits to lay its eggs.

Guppies
Whales have calves,
Cats have kittens,
Bears have cubs,
Bats have bittens,
Swans have cygnets,
Seals have puppies,
But guppies just have little guppies.

Celery
Celery, raw
Develops the jaw,
But celery, stewed,
Is more quietly chewed.

The Abominable Snowman

I’ve never seen an abominable snowman,
I’m hoping not to see one,
I’m also hoping, if I do,
That it will be a wee one.

The Centipede
I objurgate the centipede,
A bug we do not really need.
At sleepy-time he beats a path
Straight to the bedroom or the bath.
You always wallop where he’s not,
Or, if he is, he makes a spot.

Fleas
Adam
Had'em

The Catsup bottle
First a little
Then a little

Eels
I don't mind eels,
Except as meals,
And the way they feels.

The Fly
The Lord in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.

The Hippopotamus
Behold the hippopotamus!
We laugh at how he looks to us,
And yet in moments dank and grim,
I wonder how we look to him.

Peace, peace, thou hippopotamus!
We really look all right to us,
As you no doubt delight the eye
Of other hippopotami.

The Porcupine

Any hound a porcupine nudges
Can't be blamed for harboring grudges.
I know one hound that laughed all winter
At a porcupine that sat on a splinter.

The Termite
Some primal termite knocked on wood
And tasted it, and found it good!
And that is why your Cousin May
Fell through the parlor floor today.

Kitten
The trouble with a kitten is THAT,
It eventually becomes a CAT.

The Lllama

The one-L lama, he's a priest
The two-L llama, he's a beast
And I would bet a silk pajama
There isn't any three-L llama

Billboard
I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree;
Indeed, unless the billboards fall
I'll never see a tree at all

The Panther
Except that it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say ouch,
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don't anther.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, those are pretty good...
I think my favorite is The Termite. it's really funny! hey... keep up your blogging on xanga (and here if you have time). so good! I really enjoy reading your blogs. I also like the way you keep changing the title on your xanga. keeps interest up... good work! well, better go!
TTYL!!!
Joanna

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home